Friday, March 9, 2012

Glitter Champagne Glasses

Sorry for the late post this week! This project required a few more steps than could be completed in one Monday night! I made Glitter Champagne Glasses after seeing these online. Normally, I don’t have very flashy style or taste, but something about the glitter flutes caught my eye and I knew I had to make these immediately!

First, I used this project as a great excuse to go to IKEA where I picked up 6 champagne flutes for $1.98 each.


I purchased the Martha Stewart Glitter Paint at Michael's for $9.99, borrowed blue painters tape from my dad and, because I did not want to purchase the $10 pack of Martha Stewart brand sponges, used make-up sponges I've had sitting around for a while. I also scrounged up some rubbing alcohol from the laundry room. Points for being resourceful and budget friendly!

Non-toxic glitter glue.

The less glamorous supplies.

To prep the champage glasses, I washed them and then cleaned the area I planned to paint with the rubbing alcohol. I decided I would make a set of glasses for my college friend's birthday in May, and a set for myself :) I also wanted to make a set for a friend who is a very proud alumni and enthusiatic sports fan of the University of Missouri. Just in time for March Madness celebrations! 

I taped off the areas of the glasses that I didn't want to paint, and on this one below, added the letters that would end up spelling out the school's infamous chant of "M-I-Z" then "Z-O-U."


Next, I began sponge painting the glitter onto the glasses. The first coat of glitter paint was a little hard to work with. There was a very fine line between actually adding the paint with the sponge, and then accidentally wiping it off. If I applied glitter to an area that had already been painted, it seemed to pull up the undried glitter from the glass. This is where my not-so-developed patience levels had to kick in! I ended up waiting an hour between coats so that the glitter glue could be applied thickly and evenly on the glasses.




At about 9:30 p.m., my 3rd coat of paint was just about dry, but I was out of crafting energy! (If I would have known I would have to do three coats to get my desired glitter effects, I would have started the first coat on Sunday. Just a tip if you plan to try this at home.) I let the glasses sit like this overnight to make sure everything was dry and secure:


The next night after work, I made sure the paint was dry and pulled the blue tape and sticker letters off. Then to cure the paint, I "fired" the glasses in the oven for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. The most important thing when curing the glasses is to put them in the oven when it is completely cool, letting the oven and glasses heat up together. Otherwise, the glasses will crack if they are placed in a pre-heated oven. Also, no glitter paint can touch ANYTHING (the oven, the pan, each other, you get the idea!) so I placed the glasses upside down to be sure:

After my glasses spent 30 minutes in the oven, I left them in there overnight on Tuesday to cool down completely. Then on Wednesday morning, I was finally able to say that my glittered champagne glasses were DONE! :)

Pink glasses for a very girly friend of mine...

Orange glitter for me so I can toast to the
Giants 2012 World Series win in style ;)


This year, Mizzou Basketball is ranked 5th heading into March Madness. Don't want to jinx anything, but I think my University of Missouri friend will be celebrating a few tournament wins with some bubbly champagne in these fabulous, Mizzou Pride glasses!

Overall, I really love the way my glasses turned out. After curing them in the oven, they are now dishwasher safe (although I plan to handwash anyway) and the Martha Stewart glitter paint is non-toxic...phew! My patience was tested a bit when glittering the glasses and waiting for coats to dry, so if I make these again, I will plan ahead for a two day project and start the base coat earlier. Now that I have the glitter paint on hand, I can make future sets of champagne glasses as gifts for under $5. And, this was the perfect budget friendly project to add a little sparkle to my barware collection!

Thanks to my fellow Girls Team member for taking the pictures with my iPhone :)

3 comments: