Monday, April 16, 2012

It's Tomato Time

The weather has finally warmed up and it really feels like Spring! With my girls teammate off to Spain. I thought it would be a good time to get some tomatoes planted for this weeks Make It Happen Monday project. Since our yard is not big, I have had success growing tomatoes in containers. In the past I have used 12 inch pots, with cherry or grape tomatoes, with mixed success. But after seeing the huge crop a friend had last year, using a wine barrel for a planter, I decided to try that.




My first stop was at our new local nursery. This is such a great place. So many different varieties to choose from. I picked up my tomato plants, going with Sweet 100's, a cherry tomato variety. While I was there, I also picked up small basil and cilantro plants because they looked so great! 



I ended up finding some nice wine barrels at Home Depot. They had a nice selection there and were a little less expensive.


 Picking up the barrel and the soil I needed, is where I really missed my girls team partner, and the boys team for that matter! These were heavy! 


I managed to get it all in the car!



And into the yard!






I filled the barrel with some good soil.


Lola. Always a girls team partner. : )



I am trying two of these tomato plants in this barrel.
I added the cages so they had something to lean on right now.



I had these two empty pots in the yard. I filled them with the potting soil and planted the basil in one and the cilantro in the other.



I added some marigolds around the tomatoes because I have heard it keeps some pests away. They also look really colorful. 


Cilantro on the left and Basil on the right!


Now they just have to grow!



This is a new spot for the tomatoes this year. I have put them out on our patio in past years. This side yard has plenty of sun, so I am hoping they will thrive out there. 

This weeks project was one that I had been wanting to get done. Sometimes that is what Make It Happen Monday is about. Doing the things that you always say "we should try that" about. I sure missed my Girls Team partner this week! She really is the one that drives this team! We'll be back next week, maybe with a Spanish flair!

No comments:

Post a Comment