Sunday, June 24, 2012

DIY Pillows

Last week, we finally got around to sewing pillows for the couch in my new apartment. After finding DIY pillow case instructions on Pinterest, I headed to Joann's for pillow forms and decorator fabric. I was looking for fun fabric that wasn't too loud or girlie. After washing the fabric, my mom and I were ready to sew! 




The directions I found online for the pillow case were SO confusing, even to my mom who is the expert. Turns out, the amount of fabric that the blog told me to buy wasn't enough for two pillows. It told me to buy 1/2 yard of fabric for every pillow form at 18 inches or smaller, so I bought 1 yard of fabric for two 18 inch pillow forms, and for some reason, didn't have enough fabric. After trying to make it work multiple ways, and almost quitting for the night, our horoscope encouraged us to take charge and wing it: "Today there will be no problem that your quick reasoning won't be able to solve!"


Referring back to our place mats, we quickly created a pillow case for 18 x 18 pillow forms by sewing three sides of two pieces of fabric together, inside out. 


After flipping fabric inside out, I stuffed the pillow form into the pillow case.


Then my mom pinned the 4th side, and hand sewed it closed. 


We couldn't make both pillows on Monday night since I didn't have enough fabric. But later in the week I went back to Joann's for more fabric, and finished the second pillow. 

Back at the apartment, the pillows settled comfortably on the couch next to my existing pillows from Target. I love how they turned out. The fun but subtle fabric is perfect for our apartment, which is still finding a balance between sports fanatic memorabilia and more girlie decor. The pillows don't look homemade, and add a little pop of color to our black and white living room!


1 comment: