Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Crocheting for a Cause

Over the past year and a half, Make It Happen Monday has given us the opportunity to create a lot of meaningful gifts for our close friends and family. Now we want to use MIHM to help children in our local community. As we master crocheting, the Girls Team will be making blankets for Project Linus, a national organization that accepts handmade blankets for children in need. Once our blankets are complete, we'll drop them off with Project Linus who will give them out to children in foster care, hospitals or homeless shelters. Check out this video for more information about the local Project Linus chapter.

Before we can start our blankets, I needed to learn how to crochet. Last night, my mom started teaching me and WOW, crocheting is hard! Honestly, as an avid knitter, I thought it would come to me much quicker and easier. It didn't. While I was learning to chain and double crochet about 2 inches of yarn, my mom was cranking out squares for a Grandma's Afghan like it was no big deal. Lucky her! I was starting to get frustrated, but I am trying to see this as a lesson in a new technique...and a lesson in patience.

I can't say I left MIHM last night with much confidence in crocheting, but my mom is a great teacher so I'm sure I'll figure it out soon enough. She even sent me home with some homework: a half-completed crochet square that I need to practice my stiches on. Here's hoping I can graduate to crocheting grandma squares by next week!

I'll be studying this book for a while!

The pattern we're using.

Practice squares my mom crocheted over the weekend.

1 comment: