My mom is crocheting individual squares. She is flying through this part! Once she is done with the squares, she will be sewing them together to make the full blanket. Even though she's been crocheting for years, she's never sewn squares together so that will be her challenge with this project!
How cute are these squares?!
Almost ready to be sewn together.
I'm using three colors of yarn and crocheting a blanket for a pre-teen girl. Since this is the first time I've ever crocheted, I'm learning the basic stitches of chains, single crochet and double crochet to make this blanket. Inititally, I thought the yarn would stretch out, so I didn't exactly measure the width when I started. This was a mistake! Project Linus has size specifications for each age group. The smallest blanket allowed needs to measure 30 inches by 30 inches to be used for infants. After many nights spent crocheting, I realized that my blanket wouldn't be big enough. Huge bummer!!
My orginal blanket, measuring 23 inches by 18
inches, wasn't going to cut it.
Starting over! My new blanket measures 45 inches in width.
At first I was really annoyed I had to start over because I spent about 3 weeks on my first blanket. But this is my first time crocheting and it wouldn't be a learning experience without a few bumps in the road. Good thing I watch a lot of TV because I'll need a lot of time to finish my new, larger blanket!
Crocheting is a lot easier now that I've had some practice. At first I thought it was harder than knitting, but now I think they are just about equal. The Girls Team will keep plugging along and we'll make sure to post the final blankets when they are completed and ready to donate!




No comments:
Post a Comment