I went to Target to buy plastic ball ornaments and stopped by Joann's to get a foam wreath. I bought one pack of 12 large ornaments for $5, and three packs of mini ornaments for $3 (I originally only bought two, but went back for one more pack to be safe.) In total, I spent $17 on supplies for my wreath.
My directions from Pinterest said to hot glue all of the large ornaments on first and fill in the blank spots with small ornaments. The image I used as my sample was completely covered on all sides with ornaments. As I started gluing, I realized that I wouldn't have enough ornaments to cover the foam completely. I knew leaving foam showing would bug me, so I ended up ripping the ornaments off and starting over with a new plan.
One trip to my parents house for ribbon later...I used gold festive ribbon, to cover the foam wreath. I used a small amount of hot glue to secure the ribbon in place.
Now I was ready to start re-gluing! There was no exact science to this but I started by gluing the large ornaments around the wreath even distances apart, and then filled in the rest with small ornaments. Once the first layer around the wreath was finished, I filled in open spots by adding a second level of small ornaments and building the wreath upwards.
I made sure to leave a little space open for the metal wreath hanger so it would fit between the ornaments. My Pinterest sample attached a piece of ribbon to hang the wreath instead, but my ribbon was too thick for that.
It took me two nights to finish this project because once I decided to cover the foam with ribbon, I didn't have ribbon on hand! So the next night, I went to my parents house to borrow some ribbon. Had I not done this, it would have only taken about one hour to finish all of the hot gluing.
Here is my finished wreath:
And a side view, which makes me really happy I added the ribbon:
After reading comments on other DIY ornament wreaths, I decided to hang my wreath inside. A lot of comments mentioned that ornaments attached with hot glue snapped off in cold temperatures when hanging outside. I didn't want to risk it!
Even though I could have just bought a pre-made wreath very similar to this at Target for about the same amount of money that I spent on supplies, I'm glad I made this myself. It was relatively easy once I got the hang of things! This was a great project, but I'm excited for my Girls Team partner to be back next week. It's not as fun doing MIHM solo!
20 days until Christmas :)







No comments:
Post a Comment