Although this wasn't an official MIHM project, I wanted to share it on the blog. Fleece crafts are a favorite gift idea among the Girls Team. We love the sports team fleece because it makes for unique gifts. You can't buy these at your favorite team's website! My Girls Team partner recently made a fleece-tie pillow for my brother, one side Giants print and one side 49ers print. We've also made Giants scarves out of Giants fleece and of course, Lola has a fleece-tie blanket in Giants print!
Ok, so here's the quick and easy guide to making a fleece-tie blanket. They are so simple!
First, purchase your fleece fabric. You will want two patterns, one for the top side, and one for the bottom side. I purchased one and a half yards of both Colts fleece and solid gray fleece.
After washing the fleece, find a space large enough to lay out your blanket. You don't need to iron it. Lay it flat with the sides you do NOT want showing, touching each other. Cut off any excess fabric to make sure they fit together nicely.
Cut 4 inch squares out of each corner. This will help when you need to tie knots at the corner edges. Notice that your blanket will shrink in size as you cut and tie knots. Factor this in when you are deciding how many yards to buy. I've had fleece blankets turn into lap throws because I didn't think about this when meauring ahead of time!
Now, cut 4 inch strips into all four sides of the blanket. They don't have to be perfectly measured, but you're aiming for 4 inch long cuts, about 1 inch apart. Do not move the fabric after this cutting begins or the blanket will not align correctly when you are tying knots. Once all of your cuts are made, tie the strips (one strip from the bottom fabric, one strip from the top fabric) together with a double knot to secure.
Continue tying strips together until you have tied up all four sides. This is pretty tedious, but doesn't take longer than 20-30 minutes.
Once all of your knot are tied, your blanket is complete! No sewing required :)
I finished Aiden's blanket in one night. Then I packaged it up, and sent it off to Seattle. I'm hoping with the rain coming down, and football season in full force, Aiden will get lots of tummy time on his new Colts blanket. Another benefit of fleece baby blankets are that they are machine washable, which will come in handy. I've heard Aiden already spit up on his blanket, surely to let us know he approves of his gift :) Megan is a fellow blogger, and if you want to see baby Aiden wrapped in Colts pride, you can check him out on Megan's blog. What an adorable fan!





I nominated your for The Sunshine Award. If you want to find out more and participate, check out my post: http://www.livingtowardslove.com/2012/11/thank-you-to-mess-to-be-made-for.html From Karel & Michael from Living Towards Love
ReplyDelete