Monday, June 2, 2014

Sandwich Board Signs - DIY Construction Edition!

Although the Girls Team tackles crafting, cooking, sewing, knitting, and painting, construction isn't really our forte. That's when we call in the professional...my dad! 

After hitting up Home Depot together, my dad made a game plan. He would build and stain the wood; I would paint the chalkboards. We only really had one major slip up - I bought the wrong color stain! It looked BLACK like the chalkboard paint, but I swear it did not look that dark on the sample at Home Depot!! 

So after fixing this mishap and getting a new stain color, I spent two days at the MIHM Woodshop (aka my parents garage) and painted the chalkboard panels. One coat of primer and two coats of chalkboard paint. Good thing I had experience in this from previous MIHM projects!


Then, my dad worked his magic (which I'm not educated enough to explain in detail). So enjoy some pictures! 





YOU GUYS. How amazing do these look?! They look professionally made, right? Probably because my dad is a PROFESSIONAL. Can you say "owner and operator of the official MIHM Woodshop" or what?! Maybe we should give him some kind of promotion to the Girls Team? Hmm. We'll have to think about that.

Seeing the signs finished make even more excited for our wedding. It makes it feel a little more real. :) I feel lucky my dad made these signs because they will look so nice at our venue, but also, they are something Nelson and I can keep long after our wedding too as a keepsake. 

Next step, painting words on them (which I'm scared to do...don't want to mess them up!) with a highly recommended Chalk Ink paint pen. 

1 comment: