Sunday, July 13, 2014

DIY Invitation Ornament


Hi MIHM readers! It might be hard to remember the blog before it was hacked by a quickly approaching wedding, but as we set out on our THIRD year of crafting and blogging we wanted to feature a few guest bloggers. We have such creative friends and family members - we want to show them off! This week, I'm excited to introduce my friend, and soon-to-be sister-in-law, Leah! She's going to teach you how to make one of the cutest and most thoughtful gifts we've received throughout our engagement. Take it away Leah! 

---------------------------

Hey Guys!  I’m so happy to be blogging to you straight from San Diego, a Girls Team supporter, one time MIHM crasher, and Sister of the Groom for the Wedding of the Century (move over Kimye)!  Last year, I visited MIHM for a 4th of July baking adventure and this July…I’m taking over the blog to share the gift I presented the Bride and Groom at their San Diego engagement party!

I knew I wanted to use their invitation to create a Christmas ornament, but after hours, okay minutes, of Pinterest surfing, I decided that I was going rogue and making up my own DIY project.  I didn’t have a list when I arrived at Michaels, but after an hour of ambling around the other Happiest Place on Earth, I had an idea of what I wanted to create.  My supplies included: 2 wedding invitations (my mysterious, yet invited roommate donated his for the cause), 2 thin wooden frames, off-white paint, wood workers glue, and string (which came with my invitations). 


I painted the wooden frames an off-white color to match the writing on the invitation.  While those dried, I cut the portion of the invitation that I wanted to use for the ornament.  While the front was super cute, I decided to use the back of their invitation.  It included their initials and fit perfectly into the square opening of the frame.


Next, I applied wood workers glue on the inside, unpainted edges of the frames and placed one invitation on each frame.  This made it so that I had two identical frames with the invitation in the middle.



Then, I glued the backs of each frame and invitation and placed them back-to-back.  I noticed that the edges were coming apart, so I clamped the pieces together using several chip clips.  It was a very professional set-up. 


After drying overnight, I had one personalized, wedding invitation ornament to give my brother and his MIHM, Girls Team blogger fiancĂ© for their engagement party.  It went over quite well and I’m anticipating orders for more ornaments to come pouring in.


I recently became inspired for yet another DIY project that may be making an appearance at an MIHM Bachelorette Party.  Perhaps I’ll be back to blog and share that project come August, but it’s top secret for now ;-)

---------------------------

Love, love, love Leah's DIY ornament! It's too cute to only be out on our tree; we have it hanging in our kitchen to enjoy year-round! 

No comments:

Post a Comment