Last week, my Girls Team partner was off enjoying vacation while I was panicking about what to get my dad for his birthday. My dad is hard to shop for because he never wants anything, and I feel like I get him a rotation of the same gifts every few years...books, golf balls, something for the pool. Repeat. But this year, I wanted to do something different and clever. My dad has been working so hard to help with all the wedding planning over the last 8 months. He has been so supportive, from acting as a psychiatrist to master carpenter. So, I wanted to get him a thoughtful gift related to this.
As our loyal MIHM readers know, my dad has been spending a lot of time in the garage, a.k.a. the MIHM Wood Shop, making signs and more signs. I decided I would make him a gift to thank him for this, but also to show him I've learned a thing or too from hanging out in the wood shop with him! So I settled on a sign for the garage.
I went to Michaels and bought a wood plaque, wood letters, glue and orange paint. Then I went to Lowe's to buy mini tools to spray paint. I was able to use the last of the chalkboard paint and gold spray paint we already had in the MIHM wood shop.
Chalk paint pens, orange acrylic paint, new brushes, all-surface glue. Not pictured: Chalkboard paint and gold spray paint.
How cool are these wooden letters from Michael's? $1.29 each, very affordable. The only downside is that Michael's staples the price tag to the back of each letter, so if you plan to work with these, set aside about 20 minutes to remove the heavy duty staples. Blurg.
Mini tools from Lowe's, ready for my favorite product: GOLD SPRAY PAINT. :)
First I painted the wooden plaque with chalkboard paint. If you're a regular reader, you know I can do this in my sleep by now. Also, since I wasn't actually going to be using chalk or chalk paint pens on this piece, I skipped the primer.
While the plaque was drying, I painted the letters orange.
I did two coats for a more solid look. (I chose orange for the Giants, obviously.)
Then I spray painted the tools. Unfortunately the hammer was too big for the wood plaque, so I didn't end up needing that item.
I let everything dry for 24 hours. Then, I used a special all-surface glue from Elmer's to glue the letters and tools to the board. I was worried about the glue not bonding to the chalkboard paint. So after I glued everything, I put a sheet of wax paper over the plaque, and weighted it down with some heavy blocks. I let this sit overnight with the pressure bonding the letters and mini tools to the plaque. When I came back the next day, everything was set and solid!
I was so excited to give my dad his new sign to decorate the garage - MIHM Wood Shop - and he was very impressed with my work! Now he is just deciding where to hang it in the garage. Happy birthday to my dad, our MIHM construction guru!








No comments:
Post a Comment