Remember when I started making this baby blanket for our close friends back in September? And then as my mom moved on to new crochet projects, I still was working away at it? Well, exciting news, I finished the blanket yesterday about an hour before meeting our new baby pal! Just in time!
Finished blanket.
Holding it up for a sizing reference.
The cutest child with the cutest blanket...Go Giants!
This blanket took me a little over 4 months to make because I worked on it in phases. Some weeks I'd crochet every night, but then I'd go a week or two without ever picking it up to work on it. The only other crochet project I've made was this blanket for Project Linus which was the same stitch the entire time, so following this chevron pattern was definitely a challenge for me. By the time I was about halfway through I felt comfortable enough to not carry the pattern around with me and each row took me about 30-35 minutes to finish. Although I mastered the pattern, I still couldn't quite figure out how to perfectly end each row and start the next without adding or dropping a stitch...so don't look too closely at the edges. ;-)
I am so happy with how this blanket turned out! I felt proud and accomplished as I wrapped it up for our friends. And then, after meeting their baby and seeing her laying in it, I felt so excited and happy to be a part of her life! (And, I was thinking of what I could crochet for her next, telling her dad that he'd be sick of me sending them things made of yarn in no time!)
In 2013, the Girls Team tried a few larger, more challenging projects and even though some Monday nights it felt like we weren't being as innovative as the first year of MIHM, I think our bigger projects have been more special and meaningful. Gifting this blanket away was a great reflection of that.
We are looking forward to 2014 and plan to continue evolving MIHM. We'd like to feature more guests on the blog, try to tackle a few wedding-related projects and maybe even make some lumpia!



No comments:
Post a Comment